Posting images - a lesson for the future?

In the world's dumbest business idea since "New Coke", www.Photobucket.com in July 2017 started demanding $US399pa ($A525) for you to use their service to add, or have visible your old images, here, or on other boards. They added a black Ransom icon to your images on global boards, or ebay etc. Some members have used www.IMGUR.com for years, and have had no issues with that. If you have a thread you had photobucket images in, and want to re-populate it, we will move it here - a forum you can edit for MORE than an hour - forever actually, when given Moderator permissions, and you can add in yours and other's pix via IMGUR links etc. Members have saved 100,000 images so far - VOLUNTEER to assist please!

Moderator: gmoney

KevinHedley
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Posting images - a lesson for the future?

Post by KevinHedley »

Having just ‘completed’ recovering Photobucket images on a two-page thread I thought the following observations might be of interest in the future.

Possibly half of the images were hosted by Photobucket and all have now been reinstated. The remainder were from a variety of sources and at least half of them have also now found a home on Imgur.

That leaves a considerable percentage of images which have not been replaced. Some of those could have alternative images inserted but many of them give no firm indication of what they were showing.

This leaves me with two comments which I hope are pertinent. Firstly, whatever pictures are placed on this Board need to be hosted on the image provider of choice – at the moment that is Imgur

In the past (and currently for that matter) members used their own website, used a site provided by their employer, linked to one of the many popular alternative hosts or simply linked to a site they had found on the internet.

While some such sites used many years ago are still operational, experience shows this is often not the case. Many threads have almost been destroyed because a ‘permanent’ host proved to be anything but.

The lesson – place every image on Imgur. While I cannot guarantee that Stampboards will be with us forever, I do hope that the wisdom of its members will be available to our descendants for centuries to come.

My second comment concerns wording, rather than images. When I look back at some of my early posts I cringe at the lack of adequate descriptions to go with the images. Fortunately, that has improved over time.

However, with quite some way yet to go, I have replaced 1,000s of images which have no descriptive wording at all. Whether it is for the benefit of search engines such as Google or Bing, or simply so that members know what is before them, it is essential that each image is accompanied by adequate wording.

What is this an image of? A postage stamp, a maxicard, an entire envelope, a scenic view? Then say so!

What does it depict? A bird, a lighthouse, KGV, an inverted Jenny? Then say so.

What is its value? When was it produced? Why was it issued? A full description will help everyone.

These observations are submitted with the hope that they can be summarised, placed in an appropriate forum and used for guidance in the future. They should be of benefit to new members and, I hope, will also be of assistance to those of us who have enjoyed this Board for many years.
Here to learn
Here to enjoy

aerogi
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Re: Posting images - a lesson for the future?

Post by aerogi »

I'm not sure if we learned the lesson.

What is the difference between imgur and photobucket? Who can guarantee that someday they won't do the same thing like PB did? How do they finance everything? What is the risk?

PBR
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by PBR »

Any of the "for free" image hosting sites is a risk. They can always discontinue this kind of service.

As of now, I go with a paid service as the annual fee is acceptable. But also this kind of service may be discontinued if the company is no longer operating or when I am not longer on this earth.

A image hosting site directly connected to stampboards would be best, as the stampboards community can take matter in is own hands. Money is involved here, of course, but per member not necessarily more than what one would pay for a third-party image hosting service.

Cheers

pbr
Postal history: Aerogrammes. Routing Instructions Dutch East Indies. Air mail to/from Asia up to 1945. Germany pre-WW2 air mails, Germany post-WW2 covers.
My blog: https://aerogramme-airletters.blogspot.de/

rsellens
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by rsellens »

The following is a quote from Glens first post on the ANTI RANSOM FORUM thread on JULY 1st..

For later July or so I'd booked in only last month for us to migrate the entire board to the brand new phpBB Bulletin Board platform - this was arranged before photobucket went feral. I've rolled that back a few weeks so we can restore 100s of major threads with http://www.imgur.com images replacing photobucket ones.

In the past, the phpBB platform version we use did NOT allow image hosting. Fletches1 and I have been hassling them for years to add that as a standard platform feature, and it seems they have finally relented. The guy swapping us over to the all new bells and whistles platform is the HEAD of phpBB globally in New York, who has worked with us before.

I personally pay a small fortune already for pretty much unlimited bandwidth in Tulsa to host the board, and our data is load balance shared over 4 large USA server hosts, so it is 105% secure and stable. Indeed our stampboards data is more secure than many Government Departments, both in the USA and elsewhere.

Going forward it will be (hopefully!) possible to add new images securely to our database in the first instance, and not need to be a servant to the whims or either photobucket or IMGUR etc going forward. :mrgreen:

Once all or most are in IMGUR we think we can then convert those on the back end here, to be all hosted FOREVER to this website. So we need an ARMY of folks to donate some time to rescue the Photobucket images, thread by thread for the important ones, and swap them to IMGUR in the first instance.

After reading the above you can see why it is preferable and important to have ALL IMAGES ON IMGUR as Glen has requested.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I don't think members are getting the message of what Kevin is saying.

When SB starts its own image hosting, yes that's coming, (actually it's active and being tested already), they won't be able to locate every single odd/weird/personal hosting website to grab images off them and put them permanently on the SB hosting. Having the majority on Imgur makes it easier to grab as many as possible in one hit and move on.

The second point is that Kevin is reminding all to actually say what the image you are posting actually is so google etc can find, index and make searching easier.

Glen has mentioned a few times to describe below the image what the image is: details, cat number, indexable wording - giving all and future researchers easier to find hits when the surf the web - and are then directed to SB.

Post something worthwhile, be descriptive, show your knowledge and be famous.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

aerogi

Post by aerogi »

well, reading that the data is for this board is secured on the large servers is a good thing for this board.

But I use imgur (and PB in the past) for many more things, whether it are pictures for the various boards I am posting, or for my Ebay listings.

So for these people the problem stays the same. Once imgur will do the same thing, we can lose all of our personal pictures and pictures will be blanked out on the other boards.

But stampboards will be saved, that's true.

norvic

Post by norvic »

The comments over image hosting and the future hosting by Stampboards has obscured what I believe to be an equally important message from Kevin:
KevinHedley wrote:My second comment concerns wording, rather than images. When I look back at some of my early posts I cringe at the lack of adequate descriptions to go with the images. Fortunately, that has improved over time.

However, with quite some way yet to go, I have replaced 1,000s of images which have no descriptive wording at all. Whether it is for the benefit of search engines such as Google or Bing, or simply so that members know what is before them, it is essential that each image is accompanied by adequate wording.

What is this an image of? A postage stamp, a maxicard, an entire envelope, a scenic view? Then say so!

What does it depict? A bird, a lighthouse, KGV, an inverted Jenny? Then say so.

What is its value? When was it produced? Why was it issued? A full description will help everyone.

These observations are submitted with the hope that they can be summarised, placed in an appropriate forum and used for guidance in the future. They should be of benefit to new members and, I hope, will also be of assistance to those of us who have enjoyed this Board for many years.

I have often prompted contributors to add a narrative to their images - the Europa stamps thread and Maximum cards thread being just two of the most image-intensive.

As the wealth of data increases here over and over, it becomes more difficult to find threads that you have contributed to. It's a bit like locating files on your hard drive: you give the file a sensible name - but in the old days that was limited to 8 characters - and 10 years later cant find it, however sensible it was and however structured your file management system is.

Equally, I try to use words in posts which I will be able to find later - bearing in mind that the (non-Google) search facility here is case-sensisitve, and I try not to use colour on keywords because the search facility will not recognise a search string (of keywords) which includes [colour... or [font size= ..... codes in the middle of the string.

There are two ways experienced contributors can help the inexperienced: either report posts with no narrative (in which case you shift the burden to mods) or send an email to the member concerned pointing out why a narrative/description is important. Of course this needs to be done with tact especially to new members and those who don't have English as a first language. Any prevarication or argument could be reported to Admin.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

Yes the IMPORTANT part of the message is educating ALL members that google spiders cannot 'see' content of images. :idea:

We need to TELL them via a caption WHAT is in each image. AND to use the word STAMP often in those captions no matter how pointless that may seem to many.

As I posted to member Figmente and Ill repeat it here again -

[centre]- - - - - - - -[/centre]

Figmente you have some really superb Marine stamps posted here. :mrgreen:

All that great scanning work, but google has not indexed a single one of them sadly. :(

No country, no issue year, no species - common name or Latin name, no face value, no catalogue number. NADA.

The HARD work is in doing the scans - the simple work is a short accurate description under those scans. :mrgreen:

I often see really superb scans from members, but google simply will not "see" them. And they will thus never end up being found via a google search. :idea:

The Google "spiders" that are glued to this site 24/7, sadly do not "see" anything at all looking at this kind of post above.

There are zero words for them to index, and worse, no words to index the photo to, which they will always do if they are linked.

Google "spiders" do not read the wording on a stamp photo. We need to replicate that in TEXT under each photo for it.

We are a stamp board - we all know that we are showing STAMPS, but google needs to be told these are stamps. As THAT is how people search google!

So a caption under nice scans saying something like -

Falkland Islands, 1949 UPU Centenary stamps set of 4. SG 168-171

Will mean in 2 weeks anyone searching intuitively on the web (as they do) for "Falklands 1949 UPU stamp set" will end up with that thread as link #1 most likely. :idea:

I posted the following advice to greenGO on his Railways Stamp thread -

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=38971

My LEADERS OF THE WORLD Railway stamps collection

He took the advice, and so far his thread has ~25,000 page views, and comes up FIRST on google searches. For text AND photos. He is very happy, and it is good for stampboards. :mrgreen:

Members bearing the following in mind will GREATLY improve google matches of images to text, and that is a WIN-WIN all round. 8)

Glen

admin wrote:To ALL members on ALL threads please bear this in mind.

Be aware if you use full captions, google picks up EVERY post so others will find your thread!

i.e. if this appears 20 times in a thread google will make this thread number search match -

"Leaders Of The World" Railway stamp issues

If it occurs once, they rank it much lower. So I changed heading from

"My L.o.W. Railway collection"

For the same reasons. Never abbreviate - google does not 'see' it then. :mrgreen:

So if you type -

Grenadines of St.Vincent
1984 "Leaders Of The World" Railway stamp issues
2nd set of 8 pairs
values: 1c, 5c, 20c, 35c, 60c, $1, $1.50, $3

and not just this -

Grenadines of St.Vincent
2nd set of 8 pairs

LOTS More people see it. :mrgreen:

Admin

and a 'p.s.' if you ensure the description is placed very close to the scan, the Google "spider" sees that, and connects the 2 when folks are searching for images.

i.e. this is OPTIMUM way to present an image and related text, so that YOUR post gets matched by google with the relevant photo.

Remember google "spiders" cannot mind-read. :) Posting a photo of the Australia 1932 Green Sydney Harbour Bridge stamp is evident visually to us, but unless the words -

Australia 1932 5/- Green Sydney Harbour Bridge stamp, SG 132,

appear as well, google will not index that.

Grenadines of St.Vincent
1984 "Leaders Of The World" Railway stamp issues
2nd set of 8 pairs
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

Machaggis52
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Machaggis52 »

Allanswood wrote:I don't think members are getting the message of what Kevin is saying.

When SB starts its own image hosting, yes that's coming, (actually it's active and being tested already), they won't be able to locate every single odd/weird/personal hosting website to grab images off them and put them permanently on the SB hosting. Having the majority on Imgur makes it easier to grab as many as possible in one hit and move on.

The second point is that Kevin is reminding all to actually say what the image you are posting actually is so google etc can find, index and make searching easier.

Glen has mentioned a few times to describe below the image what the image is: details, cat number, indexable wording - giving all and future researchers easier to find hits when the surf the web - and are then directed to SB.

Post something worthwhile, be descriptive, show your knowledge and be famous.

Once the board hosts its own images, does that mean that Imgur etc will be redundant? The images will be permanently hosted on Stampboards? I shudder to think of the server space required, but it will certainly be the best option.
With kind regards, Jim

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

A Terabyte of images is about 5,000,000 images from SB. I don't think we've reached that yet.

My portable backup HDD is twice that. :D

It's more the bandwidth being used rather than storage of actual images.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

I have a wireless 5 Terabyte backup for my desktop computer here at home, backing up each hour, that has nothing to do with stampboards.

5 x parallel 1 TB servers, all backing each each other, so in case 4 fail I still have 1 complete copy of everything.

Our racks of servers in Tulsa could probably handle all the stamp websites on this planet added together and still not be stretched. :mrgreen:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

BrendaVR
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.
Black Ninja Star! Board Posting Addict.

Post by BrendaVR »

Allanswood wrote:When SB starts its own image hosting, yes that's coming, *snip* Having the majority on Imgur makes it easier to grab as many as possible in one hit and move on.

This is good, important, and something I did not know until reading this thread.

And yes I did read the 'ransom' threads but it was not clear SB hosting their own images was the final plan, or even seriously considered at all.

Knowing SB will be taking steps to host their own images ...well nice to hear.

I may start trying to save images again, if there is still more to be done (unless deletions or worse happen ...)

And yes, I did read the other part of the comment and have taken note to properly describe images I may put up myself. I agree that is quite important.

(Sadly when I went to scan a cover today I found my scanner is acting up, looks to be non-functional...oy...feel like I just bought it, silly thing.)

Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

Was everyone aware that Photobucket are offering up to 300,000 photos for $100.00 a year?

http://photobucket.com/plans/premium/
With kind regards, Jim

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Yes there have been posts on this, over the past week or two.

Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

Global Administrator wrote:Yes there have been posts on this, over the past week or two.

Worth doing? Or not?

I certainly don't feel well disposed towards them, on reflection I'll stick with Imgur until the board hosting takes over.
With kind regards, Jim

YellowBelly
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by YellowBelly »

I can see stampboarders have been struggling with the image hosting issue for some time now and I've already experienced the problems myself these past couple of days.

I see there was an intention to set up dedicated pic hosting in the past but it doesn't seem to have materialised.

I'd like to help if I can.

I can quite easily set up a dedicated website for admin approved stampboard members to upload and host images (ssl protected for Google love). I am happy to give full admin access to the site for Glen and whoever else he would like. The website would be responsive so it works simply on laptops, desktops, tablets, smartphones etc.

There would be no charge to stampboard members provided they don't start using the site to host ebay photos etc. Admins would see the pics being uploaded and easily spot abusers. The site can be easily made to resize images and generate bbcode.

Once set up I'm happy to transfer ownership of the domain to Glen and I've no problem with the Admins taking regular back ups of the pix for future protection.

This is a genuine offer and not intended to be critical of anyone and I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Thanks for the generous offer YellowBelly. :mrgreen:

The last posts in this thread were over 2 years old, and we have moved on significantly, since then - thankfully. :lol:

UK member and Senior Moderator CMJ has since set up a clever back end system where all IMGUR and IMGBOX and IMAGESHACK mages are quietly converted to be hosted on www.stampboards.com soon after being posted here, which will be evident if anyone right clicks on images here to see hosting code.

A wonderful one man operation, and he has personally transferred near a MILLION images to our own server, where I happily pay to host them.

So in essence he has pretty much achieved what you are suggesting was a good idea. They are saved forever then. If those hosters all go bust tomorrow - no issues. :mrgreen:

photobucket was a disaster and I pray NO-ONE uses them any more - but we learnt from it.

Glen

YellowBelly

Post by YellowBelly »

OK. So long as imgur and imageshack keep playing the game I guess you're happy with things so will wait for the various apps to become usable.

This has highlighted a need to me which I may follow up on anyway just for my own interest.

Cheers.

Return to “Victim of the Photobucket gangster RANSOM demand? Add IMGUR images into your threads here!”