TUTORIAL - How to replace Photobucket "Dial of Death" images

In the world's dumbest business idea since "New Coke", www.Photobucket.com in July 2017 started demanding $US399pa ($A525) for you to use their service to add, or have visible your old images, here, or on other boards. They added a black Ransom icon to your images on global boards, or ebay etc. Some members have used www.IMGUR.com for years, and have had no issues with that. If you have a thread you had photobucket images in, and want to re-populate it, we will move it here - a forum you can edit for MORE than an hour - forever actually, when given Moderator permissions, and you can add in yours and other's pix via IMGUR links etc. Members have saved 100,000 images so far - VOLUNTEER to assist please!

Moderator: gmoney

MargoZ
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

TUTORIAL - How to replace Photobucket "Dial of Death" images

Post by MargoZ »

How to replace images showing as Photobucket dial of death ransom demand into IMGUR.

First, NEVER close or delete your photobucket or IMGUR accounts - EVER - as there is no hope of saving images then. Basic common sense - which is not as common as many imagine!

First, EVERY member, should immediately click on these links below and install these instant add-ons -

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-fix

They are SAFE, they are INSTANT, and they WORK! "Magic".

These cunning codes then let you instantly "see" every blocked Photobucket image, making the saving of them 10 times faster!

Can't see if any such clever hacks for IE/Edge or Safari exist - if so - add links to them here please. :mrgreen:

You will need three browser windows open:

1. Imgur images page
2. Stampboards thread you are editing
3. google – you will cut and paste image URL into URL window to retrieve photobucket image

Also useful to have a word page open if you are editing a long post so that you don’t get mixed up. :mrgreen:

1 Open the post containing the dial of death

2 You will see the coded image including the Photobucket URL

3 Cut and paste the post text into your open Word page -Select the actual URL from the coded info (started http: ...ends jpg)

4 Cut and paste the selected URL into your open browser window

5 Press enter and the Photobucket image will open up
If the dial of death still shows press F5 on the top of your keyboard-it can take a little time but the correct image wil usually pop up
Right clink on the image to get options.
Select ‘Open view’

6 Then select ‘Save image as'- This will take you to your computer Pictures file- I saved images in aa,ab,ac etc to ensure sequence correct

7 Go to your IMGUR account - make sure size is set to 800x600

Then select 'Add images' and 'browse' option to retrieve the file from your pictures

8 Select and copy the "BBCode (message boards & forums) link" and paste it into your word doc

9 Cut and paste revised post wording from your Word doc into the Stampboards post and submit

Voila! the dial of death has gone and the image is as it should be

Sept 2017 NOTE IMGUR have recently tweaked their software -if you use BBC link instead of Linked BBCode link then you will get a "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image" message.

TO fix the image just delete the 's' from https in the code
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/

berting600
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Re: TUTORIAL - How to replace Photobucket "Dial of Death" im

Post by berting600 »

Yes, I have done these for several times, and it works into the images I like to post. Thanks for the guidance.

berting600

benjclark
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Post by benjclark »

I don't see the "edit" button at the bottom of my posts. I'm signed in, so not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks! (Windows 10/ Chrome browser)

EDIT:
Ok, found the thread where we ask mods for access to threads with editing capabilities turned on. Thank you.
Link to permission thread: http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=77850
Always seeking bookseller labels....Album of Book Trade Labels
Author Site: Benjamin L Clark.com PSCC #157

mobbor

Post by mobbor »

Hi Margoz

I'm not saying that you haven't given a perfectly good explanation of how to deal with the 'dial of death', but it is way beyond my capabilities.

Someone moved the 'Happy 100th birthday......' thread, and having asked a question elsewhere, I received an email from Glen saying I could work on it from either end. (There must be at least 500 missing images.)

I thought the only way I could probably manage it would be to delete the 'dial' and re-scan the image, but I'm unable to try it yet as there seems to be no edit button.
mobbor

MargoZ

Post by MargoZ »

Hi Mike

If you have a look you can see that I'm beavering away at it - have done the first 12 pages and also worked back from the start as well so about 10 pages to go.

I placed it in the ransom forum in case anyone else wanted to give me a hand 8)

Cheers
Margo
Please click link below to "Like" stampboards on FACEBOOK -
https://www.facebook.com/stampboards/

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Someone needs to make Mobbor a mod for his thread. I can't see his name on the list.

I've been trying to work a way around the auto renaming of Imgur images to match the timelines of a thread.

So far it seems that if I upload the images and then sort by original file name order (which doesn't show the file name) you might be able to just see them in the same order you posted them? If they saved as each date?(I haven't checked yet)

Or upload them to Imgur in the order they appear on a page and then sort by the upload time - the images should be in the same order they were on the page. Staring at 1,000 near identical penny red's is um...challenging!
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

mobbor

Post by mobbor »

Margoz

That was a surprise. All I can is thanks!

I don't really understand what Allanswood was talking about, but he seems to have done the trick too. I have successfully fixed 27/10/16. I nearly gave up when the edit button was still not there, but worked out that I wasn't signed in- at present I have to sign in every single time, despite pressing the appropriate button.

At least with re-scanning I know where to find the appropriate stamps- which I gather can be a problem with Photobucket, so I will now do some more. If Imgur ever pulls the same trick.........no I don't want to think about it!
mobbor

aethelwulf

Post by aethelwulf »

Great tutorial, Margo. 8)

mobbor wrote:If Imgur ever pulls the same trick.........no I don't want to think about it!

This PB move will become a business-school textbook case of how to kill your business. Imgur will take a lesson and not do the same, one would expect.
Collecting Mongolia; Thailand; Indo-China; Mourning Covers; OHMS.

VFND55
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by VFND55 »

I have a suggestion to help people that are repairing threads.

Each member would copy and paste their photo codes from IMGUR that they converted from Photobucket to this thread (minus the [img] for each code). Each photo could be labeled by Subject/Author's name as a heading then list each photo by: page, date and time. This way the member's that are repairing threads do not have to save the codes on their IMGUR account.

For members with a large amount of photos would list them by Subject only.

Or, contact the member via email for their codes by subject with the same info.

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Administrator »

VFND55 - let's not try and re-invent the wheel.

Volunteer members have swapped over 100,000+ images so far -

http://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=77850&start=1350

We will stick to the system that is working perfectly. Volunteer YOUR time if you can wish to assist them. :)

PLENTY of work left to do. :idea:
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

VFND55

Post by VFND55 »

Global Administrator wrote:VFND55 - let's not try and re-invent the wheel.

Volunteer members have swapped over 100,000+ images so far -

http://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=77850&start=1350

We will stick to the system that is working perfectly. Volunteer YOUR time if you can wish to assist them. :)

PLENTY of work left to do. :idea:

I have no problems assisting and will volunteer my time. I just believe there is a way to simplify the process already in place and involve all members that have posted to assist.

Actually, the only thing a member has to do is copy their IMGUR code of the stamps within a Subject/Thread, paste the code to a post on that subject/thread then delete the [img] at the beginning and end of the code. This process can also be done via the email system.

Members repairing the thread only need to verify the Photobucket image to the IMGUR image without having to save any photos or files.

norvic

Post by norvic »

Allanswood wrote:Or upload them to Imgur in the order they appear on a page and then sort by the upload time - the images should be in the same order they were on the page. Staring at 1,000 near identical penny red's is um...challenging!

When I drag-and-drop images to imgur, say 50 or 60 at a time, they show in apparently random order on the imgur 'images' page. They certainly don't display in any sensible order akin to how they appear on my computer - and as you say, imgur allocates totally new (short) filenames so we're stuffed as far as applying any logic is concerned.

Many of my images have been transferred here https://norvic.imgur.com/ but I still don't have time to work on the threads.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

Kainnikanada

Post by Kainnikanada »

norvic wrote:
Allanswood wrote:Or upload them to Imgur in the order they appear on a page and then sort by the upload time - the images should be in the same order they were on the page. Staring at 1,000 near identical penny red's is um...challenging!

When I drag-and-drop images to imgur, say 50 or 60 at a time, they show in apparently random order on the imgur 'images' page. They certainly don't display in any sensible order akin to how they appear on my computer - and as you say, imgur allocates totally new (short) filenames so we're stuffed as far as applying any logic is concerned.

Many of my images have been transferred here https://norvic.imgur.com/ but I still don't have time to work on the threads.

I saved 82 pages of the Kangaroo thread where there were quotes within quotes,...ad inifinitum.

The only way to prevent a mental breakdown, since Imgur randomly assigned image codes and randomly filed the images during bulk uploads, was to individually name the images by "poster's name" and "date".

If one uploads the images individually you can probably overcome the random filing system.

When I first begun using Imgur it would often cancel several image uploads so I often had to do an image count to ensure all were successfully uploaded.
Looking for NSW cut-down relief date stamps, as seen in my avatar, to add to my collection.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I just looked to see about upload order and yes, there isn't one. I uploaded 80 images that were named 1,2,3,4 etc and the order or upload is close to being in order but more like 1,5,3,6,2,4,7 etc

But I have a 'thread repair' folder and save all images for a page (if it's image intense) or entire thread there.

If I need to I simply name each image 1,2,3,4 as I go down the page. Name doesn't actually matter as Imgur will change it anyway, but sequence does.

Upload to a new album in Imgur.

Click sort by 'original file name' and 'ascending" and your images appear in order as they were on the thread.

The other method I have is that I have the entire thread as a word doc with all images showing (showing and PB DOD saved) and when looking at the images in Imgur I can just look and see that I have the right image about to be changed on SB. I may do a a page at a time or the whole thread if it's not long as there are about 60 images showing on my Imgur screen per Imgur page.

After I have finished a thread, I just delete the temporary images off my folder on the PC and start again. But leave all images on Imgur.

With practice the only thing holding up the speed is the time waiting for SB to update the post. While it's updating, I'm already getting the next image ready from moving down my Word Doc looking for the next image and finding the BBCode on Imgur.
Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Folks, EVERY member, and certainly EVERY volunteer here, should immediately click on these links below and install these instant add-ons -

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

They are SAFE, they are INSTANT, and they WORK! "Magic".

These cunning codes then let you instantly "see" every blocked Photobucket image, making the saving of them 10 times faster!

Can't see if any such clever hacks for IE/Edge or Safari exist - if so - please add them here please. :mrgreen:

Glen
Click HERE to see superb, RARE and unusual stamps, at FIXED low nett prices, high rez photos, and NO buyer fees etc!

rsellens

Post by rsellens »

I installed the add-on on my Firefox and it certainly got rid of the Dials of Death. All I get is the word "IMAGE" instead. The Chrome one works perfectly well though.

norvic

Post by norvic »

I took a break from work to look for some of the threads that I had major contributions to so that I could identify one to start mending. The first two, the 'Machin' and the 'Maximaphily' threads are at least part mended so I left them for the present, and looked right back to some of the really old threads.

I also downloaded the Firefox add-on and can see all the images easily, and use (right clicked) 'View Info' to determine the storage location. All good so far. I settled on the 'Uprated Postal Items' thread (http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15971), and checked out the images. All present and correct, but mostly not on imgur.

So before I volunteered to repair it I tried to follow the tutorial (adapted for Mac/Firefox), and this is what I got.

1. Picture on thread, with my right-click:

2. 'View image info' - note, the dial of death shows here.

3. I then did the right-click and saved the image to my hard-drive. When I tried to Preview it I got this error message. (when I dragged it into Firefox to see if it would load there I got a similar error message)

4. Another post on the same thread produced this when I did the "View image info" (not the dial of death this time)

But the repeating step 3 for this image produces the same result. Of course trying to drag and drop this into Imgur just had that site twiddling its thumbs until it decided that nothing was going to happen. I had to refresh the imgur page to get away from the lock-up.

Now I can load images to imgur as these screen-capture .pngs show. So what is going wrong here?

As I had previously copied other images, I tried disabling the newly installed Firefox add-on. As a result I was able to save images (a) direct from Stampboards, and (b) with the photobucket URL put in the browser address bar. And these were new images, that I had not previously tried to download.

However.... that didn't completely solve the problem, as with the Add-on disabled, saving some other images brought the same results as the first time around, ie no use at all.

Puzzled. I can save some but not all images, and I don't know whether the Firefox add-on is to blame or not. Others have managed to make ti work, but I don't know what OS/version or browser version is in use. My Firefox is 56.0, my Mac is still 10.10.5
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics GB stamps info: https://blog.norphil.co.uk, NPhilatelics on twitter, www norphil.co.uk, shop.norphil.co.uk for our e-commerce site [currently closed for the duration]

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I have the Chrome workaround installed, but it is only good in as far as you can see the original image on SB - I still can't copy or save it as I get the dial of death instead.

I still need to:
right click and open in new tab (yours doesn't show that option?)
if the image shows then copy image
open Imgur and ctrl+v to add it to my images

always and only use the BBcode box, paste, delete the 's' and...

[centre]Image[/centre]

norvic

Post by norvic »

Allanswood wrote:I have the Chrome workaround installed, but it is only good in as far as you can see the original image on SB - I still can't copy or save it as I get the dial of death instead.

I still need to:
right click and open in new tab (yours doesn't show that option?)
if the image shows then copy image
open Imgur and ctrl+v to add it to my images

always and only use the BBcode box, paste, delete the 's' and...

[centre]Image[/centre]

I have the 'open in new tab' option if the image has a clickable link behind it (or if it just a link, as in my signature). If the image is there with IMG code only and no URL code, then there is nothing to open in a new tab.

However, it hadn't occurred to me to do a 'copy and paste' job as you suggest, so I'll try that too. Good to know that I'm not alone in finding this more difficult than some. By the time I get round to making it work properly it will all be done!

rsellens

Post by rsellens »

Using Firefox and Chrome with the add-ons is really quite simple . The tutorial is much more complicated than it needs to be.

This is what I do.

1. Right click on the photobucket image and select "Copy Image".

2. Go to the IMGUR page and press "Ctrl V". This will load the image into IMGUR.

3. Left click on the image in IMGUR and select the "BB Code" - NOT the "Linked BB Code" which is the URL one. Glen does not want this any more.

4. "Paste" into post you are editing in place of the existing photobucket entry. Don't forget to remove the "s" from the "https"

NOTE: Sometimes IMGUR can be uncooperative when you first open it and not load the image. All you have to do is left click on any IMGUR image and copy any one of the code options. This will get it to work. Then just go back and try again. I usually do this as soon as I open the IMGUR page anyway.

If you have any problems feel free to email me.

Ross

GUTTERS
Stampboard's KING Poster of ALL time!

Post by GUTTERS »

rsellens wrote:Using Firefox and Chrome with the add-ons is really quite simple . The tutorial is much more complicated than it needs to be.

This is what I do.

2. Go to the IMGUR page and press "Ctrl V". This will load the image into IMGUR.

3. Left click on the image in IMGUR and select the "BB Code" - NOT the "Linked BB Code" which is the URL one. Glen does not want this any more.

4. "Paste" into post you are editing in place of the existing photobucket entry. Don't forget to remove the "s" from the "https"

NOTE: Sometimes IMGUR can be uncooperative when you first open it and not load the image. All you have to do is left click on any IMGUR image and copy any one of the code options. This will get it to work. Then just go back and try again. I usually do this as soon as I open the IMGUR page anyway.

Ross

Ross agree with the above I can add another way for steps one and two. (Chrome)

All done with the mouse no keyboard required.

Open a new folder and have it open on your windows task bar.

Have two tabs open in chrome one with the IMGUR folder you wish your images to go to the other with the SB thread you are working on.

Left click on the image in SB not letting go drag the image to the empty folder on the task bar this will open the folder and you can just drop the image.

Left click on the image and keeping your finger on the left mouse drag it to the chrome icon on your task bar this will bring up chrome, drag the image to the IMGUR tab and it will open for you, drop the image and then click on your SB tab hit the edit button on the post you are editing and it will open.

Go back and it the time that you took to open SB the image has loaded in IMGUR

Go to your step 3 & 4

When you go and drop your next image in your new folder, always the new image you drop will be the highlighted image.

I know it looks longer yet I can get an image from SB to IMGUR to SB in about ten 10 to 15 second depending on the opening of the edit function of SB takes, without taking my hand of the mouse. Give it a go.
I AM ALWAYS IN THE MIDDLE
South Sydney Rabbitohs NRL Premiers 1908, 1909, 1914, 1918, 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1931, 1932, 1950, 1951, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1967, 1968, 1970, 1971, 2014

rsellens

Post by rsellens »

Have two tabs open in chrome one with the IMGUR folder you wish your images to go to the other with the SB thread you are working on.

Left click on the image in SB not letting go drag the image to the empty folder on the task bar this will open the folder and you can just drop the image.

Left click on the image and keeping your finger on the left mouse drag it to the chrome icon on your task bar this will bring up chrome, drag the image to the IMGUR tab and it will open for you, drop the image and then click on your SB tab hit the edit button on the post you are editing and it will open.

Go to your step 3 & 4

When you go and drop your next image in your new folder, always the new image you drop will be the highlighted image.

I know it looks longer yet I can get an image from SB to IMGUR to SB in about ten 10 to 15 second depending on the opening of the edit function of SB takes, without taking my hand of the mouse. Give it a go.

Mobbor. I am using Firefox and am very happy my way. Tried your way on Chrome and found it slower. This may be due to the fact that I am so used to doing it my way. It does not work in FIREFOX
Probably both ways are as good as each other once you get used to them.

norvic

Post by norvic »

GUTTERS wrote:
rsellens wrote:Using Firefox and Chrome with the add-ons is really quite simple . The tutorial is much more complicated than it needs to be.

This is what I do.

Ross

Go to your step 3 & 4

I tried this with Firefox, with the add-on enabled - took an image from a very old thread which I could see on the SB thread, (http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll18 ... PAIN-A.jpg) and dragged it to the Imgur tab. Voila, it still shows the wheel of death:

So I opened the image in Photobucket, saved it to my hard disk, and when I tried to open it to view before uploading it to Imgur, I got this sort of message again, but with the other file name:

I'm reasonably sure there is no point in wasting further time on this, although my own images are or will soon be all uplodaed to Imgur and I could repair threads to which I have made majour contributions.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

How odd for Mac users. :?
I clicked the link, clicked copy, then ctrl+v in my Imgur album and I'm now looking at a Spanish Telegraph stamp in Imgur.
Why does Mac not like it?

GUTTERS

Post by GUTTERS »

norvic wrote:I tried this with Firefox, with the add-on enabled - took an image from a very old thread which I could see on the SB thread, (http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll18 ... PAIN-A.jpg) and dragged it to the Imgur tab. Voila, it still shows the wheel of death:

And that will happen every time.

You will note that I have a new folder open on my task bar.

Drag the image to the open folder on your task bar it will open the folder drop the image there and then grab it again and drag it to the IMGUR tab and it will open drop it there and then go to step 3 & 4

No need to copy no need to paste just drag and drop drag and drop.
South Sydney Rabbitohs NRL Premiers 1908, 1909, 1914, 1918, 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1931, 1932, 1950, 1951, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1967, 1968, 1970, 1971, 2014

rsellens

Post by rsellens »

Allanswood wrote:How odd for Mac users. :?
I clicked the link, clicked copy, then ctrl+v in my Imgur album and I'm now looking at a Spanish Telegraph stamp in Imgur.
Why does Mac not like it?

Are you sure the Spanish Telegraph stamp is not the one you copied?

If you are sure it is not try the following.

Go to the top of your IMGUR page and make sure that the header tabs are set as shown below.

If the third tab shows ascending click on it and change it to descending. The last image loaded should then show as the left upper image.

If that tab shows descending but the left upper image is not the last one you loaded click on it and change it to ascending and the change it back to descending. The last image loaded should then show as the left upper image.

Ross

norvic

Post by norvic »

OK, I was on Descending, and I can easily see when a new image is added, and how it appears.

Now this will get tricky, so bear with me. I'm on this thread 711 Indian States, M & U, US $42 + postage. The image in OP is hosted on Photobucket.

This is my Imgur Images

I drag the image from SB to a new folder, and this is how it appears in Finder. Note that the thumbnail doesn't show the image as the other folder does:

And of course that won't show in preview, and won't load into imgur, because it is an unopenable or damaged file. This is how my Imgur account looks now, having dragged and dropped these screen-capture images for the purposes of this post. But that sheet of India stamps for sale, won't appear. I can't imagine why the download doesn't work!

norvic

Post by norvic »

And just to prove that it isn't a Mac or Firefox problem, here is a screen shot from the Uglies thread, and the image I downloaded from SB, and the screenshot for Imgur showing that it is now in my account.

From Stampboards thread

As uploaded to Imgur

As shown on my Ingur account

rsellens

Post by rsellens »

norvic wrote:
And of course that won't show in preview, and won't load into imgur, because it is an unopenable or damaged file. This is how my Imgur account looks now, having dragged and dropped these screen-capture images for the purposes of this post. But that sheet of India stamps for sale, won't appear. I can't imagine why the download doesn't work!

Ian. I gather that you are using Mobbor's system. I have just tried it in Firefox and it would not work there. It will only work in Chrome for me.

Try the following steps that I use. I just had no problem loading the first page of those Indian stamps into Imgur doing it this way.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

I use Win 10 and Chrome and have never had a problem grabbing an image - whether showing on screen or dial of death - unless it just isn't there anymore with the spinning 'looking for it' in PB.

GUTTERS

Post by GUTTERS »

rsellens wrote:

Ian. I gather that you are using Mobbor's system. I have just tried it in Firefox and it would not work there. It will only work in Chrome for me.

Yes GUTTERS has just tried it with FIREFOX and no it won't work but it does with CHROME so it seems that it is a FIREFOX problem.

PhilipAdams
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by PhilipAdams »

I have not done replacement work for about two weeks.

Previously, everything worked smoothly with the DoD images. Simple download, then "Open image in new tab".

If not working first time, persist and nearly always the image appeared.

Come this evening, and working on the Australian Vacuum Oil thread, nothing seems to work on the DoD images.

What am I doing wrong?

Philip

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Can you direct me to an image Phillip, as I don't see DOD just all the images.

PhilipAdams

Post by PhilipAdams »

Thanks Greg. Try the image at the end of the first post. I’ve noted the address of the image in the text. Then have a go at any of the DoD images through the thread.

OldDuffer1

Post by OldDuffer1 »

Thank you, thank you, thank you for new method using Add-on and then Copy and Paste to Imgur. Don't need to have anything to do with Photof...... and 10x quicker! Just hope it works with all images.

Small rider on replacing images- sometimes when replacing those taken direct off another site they are too large- how did they load in the first place?

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

OldDuffer1 wrote:.. sometimes when replacing those taken direct off another site they are too large - how did they load in the first place?

As earlier on, we allowed larger sizes. :idea:

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

PhilipAdams wrote:Thanks Greg. Try the image at the end of the first post. I’ve noted the address of the image in the text. Then have a go at any of the DoD images through the thread.

Either I have the magic touch or???... Anyway fixed without trouble. :D
I simply clicked the link, which took me to PB, then clicked copy image, went to Imgur and my album and hit ctrl + v and the image loaded into my album.

I can't see DOD images on any thread as the Chrome add-on shows me all of them as images. Although I can find them if I highlight the whole page, copy and paste into a word doc as the DOD images showing wont copy to word.

I try and find another one...

OK, Ewens post (about post #5 has 2 DOD's) but are showing for me on screen - this is them:

[centre]Image
Image[/centre]

Have you installed the add-on?

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

PhilipAdams wrote:
What am I doing wrong?

Philip

Philip - did you download these Firefox/Chrome Plugins to bypass the blocking?? Maybe that assists in saving them?

Global Administrator wrote:
Folks, EVERY member, and certainly EVERY volunteer here, should immediately click on these links and install these instant add-ons -

These cunning codes then let you "see" every blocked Photobucket image, making the saving of them 10 times faster!

Can't see if any such clever hacks for IE/Edge or Safari exist if so - add them here please. :mrgreen:

norvic

Post by norvic »

As indicated earlier, whilst the Firefox Add-On allows you to see the images, they won't save properly to the HD through Firefox. (A screen shot would be the way to do it, but as others can do it with Chrome or other methods, then that will be quicker. I must try Safari some time.)

PhilipAdams

Post by PhilipAdams »

Thank you to everyone who responded to my post, Greg in particular.

I have two machines: a desktop with the chrome add-on which I use regularly; and an old laptop with no add-on which I use infrequently.

Last night I was using the laptop without add-on. I could not convert the DoD images on that and still cannot.

This morning, I am sitting at my desktop with add-on and it all works fine.

Lesson learnt: on this evidence the add-ons are essential for all aspects of the repair work - seeing, converting and replacing.

Philip

rsellens

Post by rsellens »

Global Administrator wrote:
Can't see if any such clever hacks for IE/Edge or Safari exist - if so - please add them here please. :mrgreen:

Glen

I have checked available add-ons for Internet Explorer. There is not one available.

rsellens

Post by rsellens »

norvic wrote:As indicated earlier, whilst the Firefox Add-On allows you to see the images, they won't save properly to the HD through Firefox. (A screen shot would be the way to do it, but as others can do it with Chrome or other methods, then that will be quicker. I must try Safari some time.)

Ian. If you use the method explained above for Firefox you do not need to save the image to your HD. Just follow the following steps to get the image into IMGUR. There does not appear to be a Safari add-on.

If this does not work then it is most likely to be a Macintosh problem.

Ross

norvic

Post by norvic »

Despite no advice as to what should be showing on the Imgur screen when this is done, I tried it, and after several 'Cmd+V' attempts Imgur burst into life and did take this image which you should all be able to see?

Thank you, definitely worth trying though a bit iffy in implementation.

Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

If you are looking at 'your' images in Imgur, then when you paste an image into Imgur the top left image will be the thumbnail of the one you just loaded.

(Yes I can see the above image)

johnrcrow

Post by johnrcrow »

Sorry for de-railing main thread.

OK, this is for Mac users.

Chrome for Mac works.

In fact, with the Chrome add on recommended, the death images show immediately and can be placed in Imgur.

John

Global Administrator
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

For those of us like me, who always did the right thing, and supported them over many years, via a PAID for Photobucket account in the past, I just got this rather Pidgin English warning below today - :twisted: :twisted:

Until NOW, all the 10,000s of images from myself and Margo's separate paid account all showed here fine - everywhere on the board. In a month they too will be Ransom Wheel victims. :evil:

If these Morons had simply asked all members who posted images on Bulletin Boards etc, to sign up for the same 'Plus 20 PRO' plan we had - I think it was $US29.99 a year - most of them would have, hence almost no loss of face of clients to photobucket, and a vast ocean of money rolls in - FAR more than they ever got from the $525 ransomware Gangsta demand they decided upon, with no advance notice.

So we must pay the $525 or no-one can see our images - no other lower cost option. CRAZY.

Photobucket had over 100 MILLION unique registered members, who had loaded more than 10 billion images. Even if only HALF paid up $US29.99 a year, we are talking $US1.5 BILLION dollars instant revenue a year. AND higher, and better grade ad revenue too! WIN-WIN.

This will go down along with "The New Coke" as the dumbest American Corporate Decision for some decades. Photobucket will be totally out of business in a year I predict - all over this one dopey move.

Some members here paid the $525 ransom - as one member put it, he had 1000s of ebay listings using PB as the image base, and that needed 100s of hours work to swap over, that so he paid, and for all future new listings he will use someone else. In a year most of the past ones have sold, and he drops PB, and many current payers of the $525 Photobucket Ransom will copy him, so their revenue going forward is near zero. No ad revenue, and no user revenue. Clever stuff!

Their ALEXA rating has fallen a massive 800 positions so far, and their ad revenue will have dried up near totally. Brilliant master plan.

They have needed to stoop to accepting the lowest level of ad content - and Wikipedia reports they now have excessive pop-up ads, scams, clickbait advertisements, and in some cases viruses embedded in ads.

Photobucket are based in Denver Colorado, and the Better Business Bureau there had a number of complaints re this Ransom move to which photobucket repeatedly refused to respond, and the BBB gave them their lowest Corporate rating possible - an "F".

This is today's missive, written in almost English -

Hi Glen,

This message is to inform you that we discontinued the Plus 20 plan in June of this year. We have grandfathered your expired plan for several months as a convenience.

In order to keep your account current and all of your content available, we are asking that you migrate over to one of our current Plus plan offerings.

Failure to do so within 30 days will result in your billing to be suspended, and your account will be reverted to a free account.

If you have any questions about your account or which of our current offerings is right for you, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Thanks,
Sebastian,

your personal account manager

Return to “Victim of the Photobucket gangster RANSOM demand? Add IMGUR images into your threads here!”