Advice if you are buying Scott Stamp Catalogues

There are some superb and incredibly useful reference books, and catalogues out there. And tools to measure perforations or paper thickness or LED magnifiers etc Please add your new discoveries - and recommendations to this forum. As in all forums, you can post photos of your favourites and recommendations.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

erich
Founder Member Joined April 2007
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Advice if you are buying Scott Stamp Catalogues

Post by erich »

The Scott Catalogue is your go-to for US stamps, what most sellers based in the US (which means most of eBay) use for identification/pricing, and overall is probably as good a reference as any for general worldwide.

Obviously, for most countries, you will find a better specialized catalogue, but Scott isn't a bad thing to have. However, it is EXPENSIVE new. As of 2018, Scott split all of its volumes into 2 parts (a good thing -- they would each be the size of a large telephone book otherwise) and retails them for $134.99 for each set of 6 sets of 2.

In practice, a new set is about $650 for the 12 books.

So...a bit of advice:

-- I would say you don't need a brand new Scott catalogue set, or to update it every year. The prices don't change that quickly (except for some unusual areas like PRC) and you're fine with a set a couple years old.

-- It is worth getting the new 12-volume format set. The old 6-volume books are large and unwieldy, and fall apart more easily.

-- If you are in the US (foreign shipping may kill much of the savings) get the books used on Amazon. Piece the set together from different sellers if you have to. I was able to get a full 2018 set for $106 shipped! Took about a week to get all of it, from 4 different sellers.

-- Ex-Library books are good! They have some stickers and markings on them, but are perfectly usable, and they laminate the covers -- they will actually last longer than new ones since the covers are less likely to fall apart, or pages to fall out.

-- Be sure the seller has indicated both volumes of the set are included. People have complained about ordering and only getting, say, a 3B with no 3A.

-- Buy some stamps with the $500 you just saved :mrgreen:

Note: You won't be able to get a US Specialized for less than $45 or so, and the Classic Specialized 1840-1940 hardcover is expensive -- $90+ even if you get a 10 year old one. So you might want to skip those.

RobRoyH
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Re: Advice if you are buying Scott Stamp Catalogues

Post by RobRoyH »

All excellent advice, and advice I lived by for many years.

Lately, however, I have been spending enough on stamps, (and selling enough stamps), to warrant a current set. My paper copies ranged from 2014 to 2017.

The discount for ONLINE ONLY digital copies is a little better and I now have a full 2020 set, (12 world, 1 US Specialized, and the Classic World).

Scott Online New Products
If you find that you are always online when working with your collection, there are no real downsides. I plan to do Stanley Gibbons next year.
"You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace… before I dip the pen in the ink."
G. K. Chesterton

Stevemartin
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Post by Stevemartin »

Great advice and it's beneficial for everyone..

home & decor

mack strathdee

Post by mack strathdee »

J W SCOTT sold fakes AND used facsimiles in albums and catalogs ... beware early issues

Return to “Knowledge really is POWER in this hobby! Catalogues, journals and reference books.”